Really, who doesn’t love food? everybody loves food. Food keeps us going and is essential in order for us to survive. I don’t know about you but food makes me very happy! However, when trying to lose weight or put on weight or gain muscle mass food can be detrimental to your results. Eat for your results. Eat foods that will promote weight loss or promote weight gain whatever your ambitions are ( of course without your health being at risk). I’am not going to patronise you by telling you stay away from the burgers, stay away from mac’ds, stay away from any fast food restaurant, this is common knowledge right?
Its a simple equation, carb’s make you put on weight, therefore the way you adjust this towards your goals are really important. If you are trying to lose weight it is advisable to cut down on the amount of carb’s you eat, and most importantly staying away from refined carbohydrates and foods. Refined carbohydrates are foods that have had the whole grains extracted from them, the process of doing this removes most of the foods Fibre and also most of its nutritional value and vitamins.
Here are 10 of the most popular refined carbs/foods:
- cakes & pasteries
- most breads
- most pastas, rice ,noodles etc
- pizza, burgers etc
- condensed milk
- ice cream
- most Health bars ( surprisingly)
The main problem with these foods are that they are also loaded with refined sugars. These refined sugars are completely useless to the body. One recurrent ingredient in all of these products is HFCS ( high fructose corn syrup). This ingredient is not only highly refined but also very bad for your health. This is found in many fizzy drinks & snacks. It is basically corn starch that has been highly processed,as a result of this it creates imbalances in the human body. Many of the foods listed above contain this, internally this converts itself into sugar in the body. Most people have the misconception that “fat” is what makes you fat, however many studies have found that it is actually sugar. Sugar not only increases chronic diseases but it also causes mood changes- ” comfort foods”.
Here are 10 of the most popular low-refined carbs/ foods:
- meats, fish, poultry and eggs.
- sweet patato’s and yams
- Green vegetables
- Greek yoghurt
- whole grains ( rice, qiunoa , oats, etc)
- All types of nuts and many types of seeds. ( almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, peanuts etc)
- beans, chickpeas, lentils
- herbs and spices (ginger, garlic, parsley, sage, etc)
- Avacado’s & Berries
- Green tea
The first list will be destructive to a healthy lifestyle- try your best to stay away from these foods, it doesn’t mean you can’t occasionally indulge in some of these foods but limit yourself to once a week. Rarely give in to these foods, However you can treat yourself to a cheat meal or cheat day to quench your cravings once a week .. IF you think you really want it. Keep a clean diet, ideally the ratio should be 80%-20%. Eat clean 80% of the time and the other 20% indulge in a cheat meal. I would advice you to eat whole foods, as they are better for the body in general, but invest in healthy fats such as avacados,as it provides the body with lots of vitamins such as vitamin A & B, it possessesfat burning benefits due to vitamin E, in addition to this it also aids in muscle building. Go mad on Berries, not only are they sweet or low in calories BUT they are packed of lots of vitamins, high in fibre, and they are on top of almost every superfoods list, they are also a great source of antioxidants whcih helps in reducing inflammation, and high in vitamin C which is good for the skin, hair and in preventing certain diseases. Nuts are great because they are rich in fibre and protein too! They are an easy and tasty snack choice,there quite filling, helping you keep fuller for longer, in addition to all its benefits it also controls bld sugar levels and aids in fat loss. Lastly it quenches those cheeky cravings. Anyway, this is only a small list, they are many more foods that you can incoperate in your diet in order to aid you on your journey. Unfortunately i can’t list all of them,but not only would i encourage you to eat whole and natural foods as much as possible i would also encourage you to research further.